Open and endovascular combined procedures in lower limb arterial reconstructions

Gabrielli, Roberto and Rosati, Maria Sofia and Irace, L. and Siani, Andrea and Vitale, Silvio and Cristofani, Davide and Marcucci, Giustino (2011) Open and endovascular combined procedures in lower limb arterial reconstructions. Il giornale di chirurgia, 32 (5). pp. 275-278. ISSN 1971-145X

article(11).pdf - Published Version

Download (630kB)
Official URL:


Introduction. The association of open and endovascular procedures in patients with obstructive disease of the lower limbs gives the opportunity to treat in a single step multi-segmental lesions which were currently treated in the past by more demanding open procedures. Patients and methods. From January 2003 to May 2009, 52 patients with peripheral occlusive chronic arterial disease of the lower limbs were submitted to combined open and endovascular procedures. In 37 patients (71.2%) a femoro-popliteal/pedidial bypass was carried out after Percutaneous Transublimal Arterio (PTA)/stenting of the iliac/femoral arteries, while in the remaining 15 patients (28.8%) the endovascular procedures were performed following open approach, that consisted in a femoro-popliteal bypass. Iliac stenting interested the common iliac artery in 19 patients (51.3%), the common and external iliac artery in 11 patients (29.7%) and the external artery in 7 (19%). In this same group a fem-pop bypass below knee was carried out in 28 (75.6), a fem-pop above knee in 6 (16.2%), a fem-pop and jump on the posterior tibial in 2 (5.4%) and a superficial femoral-pedal in the last one (2.8%). In the other group the fem-pop bypass below knee was followed by a PTA of the tibial vessel in 12 cases (80%) and by a stenting in only 3 cases (20%). Results. Three patient was lost to follow-up. Three (8.1%) iliac stents became occluded and the sudden onset of an acute ischemia of the limb required in all cases an aorto-femoral bypass. The occlusion of tibial stent in 2 patient (13.3%) was no clinical relevant, and the failure of the PTA procedure in other 4 patients with the reocclusion of the tibial arteries was followed by thight amputation. Occlusion of the femoro-popliteal bypass occurred in 9 of 37 patients (24.3%) submitted to iliac stenting and in 4 of 15 (26.6%) patients with PTA of the tibial vessels. The overall patency rate was 69.2%. Limb salvage was 77.5% Conclusions. Combination of the open and endovascular procedures to treat lesions of the lower limbs is effective and durable in terms of patency and complication rate. For validation this new approach needs the recruitment of much more patients and prospective protocol studies.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Arterial peripheral disease - Combined procedures - Lower limbs
Subjects: 600 Tecnologia - Scienze applicate > 610 Medicina e salute (Classificare qui la tecnologia dei servizi medici) > 617 Rami vari della medicina; Chirurgia
Depositing User: Nadia Del Gobbo
Date Deposited: 05 May 2016 11:03
Last Modified: 05 May 2016 11:03

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item